Some of our members and organisers run events outside GMSS which Skeptics might enjoy. This is one:
PubhD is an event for the academically curious… but you don't even need to have been to university the first time around to appreciate what our postgraduate speakers have to say at our gatherings.
The focus is on bringing serious research to the masses, over a pint or two. It's not just about the sciences; there are also plenty of speakers from the humanities, always ensuring a good mix of topics. In the past we have had talks on:
- drug synthesis
- evidence-based healthcare choices
- the string quartets of a 20th-century Russian composer
- resistance to renewable technologies by the Australian coal industry
- using digital technology to optimise consumer purchase behaviour
- portrayals of the British in the media of Nazi Germany
- Alzheimer's research
- reducing food waste
How does it work? It's a very simple formula:
Where: W = whiteboard M = marker pens P = pub S = speakers T = talk (minutes) Q = Q&A (minutes) H = hosts D = donations x = f(audience * enthusiasm * generosity)
The next Manchester event takes place on Monday 21st September, 7.30pm at the Church Inn, Hulme. We will have three doctoral-level students giving an overview of their research topics in exchange for beer and good company. Visit our website, www.pubhdmanchester.org.uk for more information.